BTB

Brave New World 2.0 - Beta Thread

200 posts in this topic

So being a while I haven't update but here we go.

Mount Zozo (Team : Phantom Shadow, Speed/Mag Relm, Stam Gau, Stam Strago) :
-Admitaddly not an awesome team has all 4 are quite fragile, but it did somewhat works.
-Relm's Fire is good at cleaning these bears, she also has good healing, Shadow Kazekiri Proc are strong enough t be useful, Strago can apply Statut effect with Bad Breath and Gau can do all sort of thing ^^.
-Didn't fight Purple-D directly and save him for later tough, as I feared the team might be to underlevel for him.

Narshe up to Tritoch (Team : Vig Cyan, Phantom Shadow, Speed/Mag Relm and I forgot who was the fourth character ^^")
-Nastidon and Werewolf are easily cleaned with Relm's Fire 2, and can be Muddle by Cyan's Flurry. The Reaper isn't to threatning either.
-Inside the cave, Relm can Sketch Warlock for Dark which one-shot them, hot Wheels and Low Rider can be annoying due to Tired hitting quite hard and Exhausted but they are less dangerous than they were in 1.9 where they could cast Fire 3 and Ice 3. Never encounter an Io.
-Tritoch is basically a free fight, Relm can sketch for free Fire 3 (which he is weak to), Shadow can just spam Fire Scroll and Cyan stay on support since Tritoch has a very high physical defense.

Gogo's Cave (Magic Mog, Stam Sabin, Vig Cyan and Magic Relm) :
-Zone Eater isn't to bad with good use of buff, altough they sure take their time using Engulf.
-Most dangerous formation in 2 Tapdancer and 1 Shinobi especially if they open with MT Fire 3 and Ninja Wave, but getting Sage Stone with Mog make the encounter a lot easier as Mog can just Mute the 2 Dancers.
-Nothing noticeable for the other encounter.

Phenix Cave (team 1 : Hyb Celes, Vig Edgar, Magic Mog and Vig Cyan; Team 2 : Vig Terra, Stam Strago, Stam Sabin and Gogo.)
-Mob fight in Phenix Cave aren't to bad, just don't let these Anemone cast Discharge, also Weedula inflicting Zombie are annoying.
-As for Red-D I fought him with Team 1, I struggle a lot but this is completly my fault, forgot S.Cross was now impossible to dodge which is what I was relying in previous playthrough, as such I was poorly prepared with only Flameguard as Fire Protection, still beat him nonetheless but these mistakes make the fight considerably harder.

Umaro's Cave (team use : Stam Locke, Gogo, Spd/Mag Relm, Mag Mog)
-Mob fight are easy, expect the bird that can cast Aero can be dangerous if we don't have Wind Protection, the biggest issue here is managing Relm MP as no monster in this cave has MP, quite annoying.
-As for Umaro, Image is REALLY important for this fight so I used Gogo with Throw and Mog with Desert Aria to hopefully get it on everyone fast, then it's Locke attacking with Flametongue, Gogo with Fire Scroll and Relm with Fire 2.

Cyan's nightmare (team use : Stam Locke, Magic Setzer and Gogo) :
-Don't have much to say about the Random at this point, they are manageable with good use of offensive option and statut effects.
-Now for the Magus Brother (I like to call them like that ^^), I'm happy that I have take Locke for this fight cause they have some good loot to steal especially the Lazy Armor, otherwise they aren't hard, once I stole Gogo attack with Hornet's Rage (3x attack) with Punisher equipped (Punisher's Proc with 3x Rage are insane here XD), Setzer alternate between Blakjack and healing and Locke attack with Atma Weapon eventually the one that fly will die battle is given at this point.

-Wrexsoul : this one went really REALLY poorly, ended up in the longest fight of the game, but this is completly completly my fault for the following reasons :
Reason 1 : I didn't know you could kill the Soulblazers to end the fight.
Reason 2 : I thought he would be weak to Fire like in 1.9 but I was wrong he was weak to water which screwed up my entire plan.
Reason 3 : I didn't have Rasp, apparently Rasp makes him stay on the screen longuer, had I knew that this fight would have gone way better.
So yeah I'm not gonna talk about this boss cause basically all my trouble come from me screwing up so entirely not the mod's fault ^^".

At this point I respec Celes for a pure HP Build with Crusader.

Purple-D (team use : Stam Locke, Gogo, Magic Setzer and I don't remember the fourth character) : In my opinion the easiest Dragon, Wind protection are easily available making his attacks are not really dangerous, Gogo can just Rod Rage with Thunder Rod for over 5000 per proc, Locke deals good damage with Elec Sword and Setzer is still on the support a really easy Dragon here.

Brown-D (team use : Vig Cyan, Stam Sabin, Stam Gau and Magic Mog) : The biggest threat here is Meteor, outside of that most of his attack can be avoided with Float, I used Mog in Snowman Jazz for potential Image thank to Mirage and Ice Rabbit but also for over 5000 damage Surge, Cyan attack with Tempest, Gau just stay on support and Sabin is on support with some Pummel to set Sap and Aurabolt when he can.

Silver-D : Is almost free cause I had 2 Iceguards and Snow Muffler with Gau, so Yeah he doesn't have really strong attack outside of Ice attacks he really isn't much of threat.

Ancient Castle (Team use : Vig Edgar, Stam Strago, Phantom Shadow and Vig Terra) :
-Master Tomberry is easily killed with Fire Scroll spam, Jumping with Fire Lance, Vig Terra with Flametongue and Strago use Blaze.
-For the mob fight of the cave watch out for Tsunami and Shrapnel they really hurts thankfully the mobs aren't to resistant.
-In the castle mobs seems easier than better especially the ones that could cast X-Zone no longuer seems to cast it, so that a big annoyance less for me.
-Katanasoul is easy outside of Slayer and GP Toss toward the end of the fight which can be problematic.
-Blue-D wasn't to bad I had some trouble set things cause Shadow was keep dying due to having no Water resistance (while Edgar and Terra had Gold set and Strago had Gator Hide), once set however a Berserked Shadow with Orochi + Kagenui is deadly to him as is edgar's Jump.

Fanatic Tower (Team : Crusader Celes, Mag/Spd Relm, Stam Strago and Magic Mog) :
-Earlier mob fight seems the same as in 1.9, later Mobs feels less annoying (especially LV9 Mage who were absorbing all element but Holy in 1.9 and Flare who was hitting like a truck in 1.9 is more reasonable now).
-White-D has some nasty move having both Flare and Holy as well as Meteor and being able to heal himself with Holy Wind (as well as speeding himself up) but Shell, Reflect and Runic are all good tools for that as for Damage Strago with X-Dark and Mog by Jumping with Punisher are the best option here.
-Magimaster is well pretty much the same as before, except now he throws Elixir when we Scan him so we have to wait for him to attack to guess his weakness, which I think is actually good other than, the fight is entirely dependant of what element he picks, but overall he doesn't hit to hard so at least staying alive isn't to hard.

-Kaiser : OK let me get this straight, I didn't understand how this fight works, apparently you're suppose to be able to avoid Ultima except in my case it never worked, even by understanding that hitting him with Element change his moveset and delay Ultima, and doing what I was told to do on Discord it never worked I was always getting wiped by Ultima, so at the end I just decided to screwed that gimmick and brute force him, I respec Locke, Terra and Cyan to get Phenix Cyan, Stam Terra and Stam Cyan with Crusader Celes all 3 are able to tank Ultima, so then I just brute force him. I don't know if his gimmick is just confusing as fuck or if I was doing something wrong but YEAH. (I respec Cyan, locke and Terra again aterward).

As for Warring Triad :

-Myria : Was the hardest for me he hits quite hard, has Overcast to inflict who is a pain in the ass, has Flare Star and Mind Blast, overall a tough but fun fight for me which I enjoy.
-Asura : The easiest, the only attack that prevent this boss from being a pushover is freaking Meteo if it wasn't for Meteo hitting quite hard Asura would no doubt be the easiest boss of Kefka's Tower as all of his other attacks pose no threat at all.
-Isis : This one is more of a war of attrition than anything due to having to deal with her Love Token and Charm gimmick it can be a long fight, she doesn't hit to hard outside of Holy so the only thing is really being able to deal with her before the fight get to dangerous.

And finally for the final battle :

My team : Phantom Shadow, Crusader Celes, Magic Setzer (with some Seraph) and Stam Strago

For every tier : I start buff with Regen X, Haste X, Shield and Shell.

Tier 1 : I just Focus on the one that use Meteo (Short Arm until it get fix), with Strago casting X-Dark on it, Celes attacking with Illumina and Shadow with Mutsonokami's Proc (they hit really hard), once Meteo is out of the way it bacame way more manageable, I then kill Long Arm cause Avalanche as death hit quite hard, then finish with Face which Quake is on no consequence due to Float.

Tier 2 : No time buffing Shadow attack Tiger or Tools (they are the one that can explode), Strago spam Black Omen and Setzer spam Blackjack while Celes heals with (also Celes was fucking MVP here if she hadn't cover Shadow like 4 time in a row when Hit died Shadow would have died and I woul probably have it an Exploder in the face), this Tier is just a matter of killing it as fast as possible.

Tier 3 : Girl is top priority, she absorbs Wind so Mutso's Proc are useless but no worries Ninja Star are here for hitting her with 6600 damage, Strago X-Dark for over 10k damage, Setzer's Blackjack and Celes stay on support, once Girl is down this tier is easy, didn't saw Merton this time, Quasar can hit hard but I have the time to heal).

God Kefka : Just full buff at the beginning, then Celes stays in Runic most of the time to counter his spells, I make perfectly sure to be at full health and that he just act so that I can be sure that I won't hit a Goner as a counter followed by an AoE, also only attack 1 by 1 to avoid 2 potential Goners. I just take him down slowly but safely and I got him first try.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:46 AM, JohnFuklaw said:

I got Cyan blocking a fire 3 from a tap dancer with his sword.

Moveover, it's a fire 3 that was cast on locke, and cyan is covering him to block it.

So I just need cover items on this, right? Is there anything else (special) on your setup? I'm gonna reproduce this when I get to that part.

The 2x Cave Stuff, 1x Drifter encounter in the cave to Figaro jail might be too deadly. You just have Celes and Sabin, neither of them are particularly fast, Flash Rain hits for ~225-250, Aqualung hits for ~200, Pointy Stick one-shots. I have a stam Sabin with dual Hell Claws/Power Glove and he can't one-shot any of them, and Vigor Celes with Blood Sword/Falchion/Power Glove can't either, and they are too slow to take them out individually with disables.

(This is a good example of an encounter that gets very deadly if fought carelessly. Cave Stuff does not use Aqualung unless it has taken damage, so only one enemy at a time should be using AoEs if fought optimally.)

Edited by BTB

Carbunkl ELs give 20 MP instead of the 25 it states in the description
(Confirmed & added to bug list)

Edited by BTB

Part 1
Part 2

Recording my second run of BNW 2.0.
Also in part 2 at 6:00 I get a random encounter and at the end of it I get EP despite obviously not having espers yet.

Dragon has a success rate of 170 when it's intended to be 128. Note that I haven't downloaded RC 27 yet, I'm making the(rather safe assumption) that it wasn't fixed in RC 27.
(Added to bug list)

Edited by BTB

Blind appears to be affecting the accuracy of Aurabolt and Dragon: https://discordapp.com/channels/160240476883124225/160253567012306945/559438628409966606
(This has always been the case. It's intentional.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Blind is affecting all Blitz and Bushido abilities, so I'm going to try testing some others like Mindblow and Empowerer.
EDIT: Mindblow and Empowerer don't seem to be affected, neither does Fire Dance or Mantra.  Can't test the other Blitzes/Bushidos since I don't have them yet.
(It's just the two single-target stamina-based ones. Mindblow and Empowerer are not affected - even though Empowerer really SHOULD be.)

Edited by BTB

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=327&height=301

After an MP crit (with illumina) mp available to the char does not seem to get properly updated in the magic list. When trying to cast you will get "not enough mp" message. Cycling through characters and reopening the list does not fix this.
(This is a known bug from vanilla and one that's unlikely to be fixed here; I'll need to add it to the known issues list)

Edited by BTB

Part 3

Should mention that I mostly don't edit, I record everything in case something happen that I haven't/couldn't notice and for testing purpose balance wise I think it's better to record everything I do.

Prometheus has a blank skill that does nothing on sketch

On 3/22/2019 at 8:40 AM, Cross said:

So I just need cover items on this, right? Is there anything else (special) on your setup? I'm gonna reproduce this when I get to that part.

It was as plain a build as cyan could have, no weird items, just a standard c/c set up

no sketch.png

Part 4
Part 5

Continuing doing Sabin's story and Narshe's battles, did the Rage farm off-screen cause no interest in watching that -_-, also make some mistakes for Narshe's batte (forget to give Relic to Celes for instance) but ot went well ultimately.

Are you guys planning on fixing the ME bug? Or is it unfixable or something? That would be a shame.

Edited by Reiker

Not only is it unfixable, I'm really not sure how it never cropped up in the past.

Had Terra with 2 Stamina, Strago with 128. Sand Storm failed to Blind Terra despite her only having 2 Stamina(tested 4 times, chances were 1/16777216 of this happening by circumstance). Strago was killed, and Terra was Blinded by the next Sand Storm, to confirm she wasn't immune to Blind. I suspect the Stamina save needs to be failed by all party members before it will apply to any of them(at which point it will apply the status to all of them barring immunity to the status).

Similar yet different: Set four characters to 1 Stamina. Grav Bomb missed 5 times in a row. Applied Float, Grav Bomb connected the next attempt. Seems Grav Bomb misses on non-floating targets.

Edited by Cecil188
Added Grav Bomb bug.

"Balance Notes" or something, "Early WoR"

Spoiler

BNW Beta RC25-27 Playtest Notes
WoR Start->Falcon Get->Brown-D->Ancient Castle Start

Celes starts her journey at Level 20 with 9 ELs in Phantom. She wears Blood Sword/Rising Sun/Mystery Veil/Power Armor/Back Guard/Gale Hairpin/Phantom. I'm apparently bonkers, as I'm heading straight past Tzen without stopping there. With Clear and Float, Celes was mostly able to handle herself. There were a couple wipes on the walk to Mobliz, but nothing too bad for intentionally gimping myself.

Still 20/9 for Phunbaba 1. Took about 4 fights before I stumbled onto a winning strategy. Went in Vanished to dodge early Bodychecks, as well as Floated. Wore Rising Sun/Gold Shield/Helm/Armor/Reflect Ring/Safety Glove. Cast Slow while Phunbaba was punching air, then queued Phantom for after his first Mega Volt. Second Mega Volt put me critical and triggered Safety Gloves. Then Celes snapped into a Slim Jim and nothing Phunbaba could do was threatening.

Just hopped on a chocobo to reach Nikeah. Clear makes it easy to run from fights, and I was still 20/9 with Celes for Tentacles. She wore Blood Sword/Falchion/Mystery Veil/Power Armor/Life Bell/Sprint Shoes/Phantom. Opened with 2 Rasps from Celes on the Regen Tentacle while Edgar used his Drill on the other three. Turtling was easy with these two, and once there was only one Tentacle, Phantom sealed the deal.

Encounters in the Kohlingen area, that I saw, were solved with NoiseBlaster and Blackjack. It's almost like I'm not down a member. Heading into the Tomb, Edgar is 20/13 Unicorn, Celes is 21/9 Phantom and Setzer is 22/12 Shoat. The randoms here reminded me that Runic was a great thing to do every single turn. Blackjack and some combo of Flash/BioBlaster/Drill handled everything here. Levels were 23/13 Setzer, 22/14 Edgar and 22/10 Celes for Chesticle... 

...who opened by dropping Celes with a Plasma... smashing! Edgar gives Celes the Defibrillator and Chesticle Darks her for more than her Max HP... Edgar Defibrillator's her again and this time Setzer casts Lifeline instead of Poison. In fact, Dark and Plasma were OHKOs on Celes and Setzer, fun times. Some Sap, Slow, as well as some solid Poisons from Setzer allowed me to win the day. 

Same levels for Dullahan. I geared mostly for defense. Since that left everyone with a Diamond something, I was pretty safe here. Opening with Golem+Seraph helped cement that. Edgar and Celes would either cast Slow or Rasp, Setzer spun Go Fish if someone was hurt. Pretty tame fight over all.

I decided that I was going to do the WoR as backwards as possible, so I headed off to the Opera House. I did make a quick pit stop to pick up a fourth party member, as the Veldt itself isn't listed on the map anywhere. Also traded in a Rage Belt for Blizzard Orb and Ninja Mask for Cat Hood.

Levels before Brown-D were Celes 22/11 Phantom, Edgar 22/14 Unicorn, Setzer 24/14 Shoat and Gau 23/14 Stray. I played with gear across attempts, but ended up with Celes using Soul Sabre/Diamond Kite/Magus Hat/White Dress/Ribbon/Gale Hairpin/Phantom, Edgar using Trident/Gold Shield/Genji Helm/Diamond Mail/Back Guard/Black Belt/Golem, Setzer with Switchblade/Targe/Diamond Helm/Diamond Vest/Fairy Charm/Hero Ring/Seraph and Gau with Club/Targe/Cat Hood/Tabby Hide/Blizzard Orb/Magic Cube/Fenrir.

This fight was freaking intense. Meteor would wipe my party, Edgar was the only one who could reliably survive Razor Leaf, with variance or MBlock sometimes sparring the others. Playing around those two attacks was the key to my success. Rule number one was keep Rerise on everyone, this was primarily Celes's job and Setzer pitched in when a Go Fish! wasn't needed. Rule number two was use Runic whenever Celes had a free turn. Edgar's job was pretty much just C/C and holding his turn to Drill immediately after Landslide set Regen. Gau usually cast Float when big party wipes happened, but I used Red Bulls if only one person dropped. Otherwise, Ninja Gau brought BIG DAMAGE and Setzer chipped in with Blackjack occasionally as well.

I bought a couple Crystal Kites, a Crystal Helm and a Rune Blade. I had to sell most of my Butterflys to do that, so there goes my early grinding nest egg. Then it's off to the Ancient Castle on my odd little backwards tour of the WoR. Levels for Ce/Ed/Se/Ga are 23/22/24/23. Celes is EL 12 (Phantom), the rest are EL 15 (Unicorn/Shoat/Stray). 

Master T wasn't too bad. Phantom before his first Flurry of Ganks and then a lucky Quark Edge saw to that. Had to leave because I never re-filled MP after Brown-D. Gonna actually post this and call it a 'night'.

Muddling Banshees seems to break their Rasp. They flash, the game says "[dot]Rasp" and nothing happens.

Disregard, they must have Muted themselves.

Edited by ff7hero

On 4/5/2019 at 11:11 PM, Reiker said:

Are you guys planning on fixing the ME bug? Or is it unfixable or something? That would be a shame.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:16 PM, BTB said:

Not only is it unfixable, I'm really not sure how it never cropped up in the past.

Would a way around this be:

1. Make a copy of the rom.

2. Edit one of the roms in usME.

3. Copy and paste the changed offsets to the other rom using Windhex or something?

Is that even possible. Just thinking outside the box here.

That is possible and that's what I've been doing. When I say it's not possible to fix the problem, I mean it's not possible to eliminate the need for that workaround.

Edited by BTB